United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP was established in 1972 as a result of the first UN environment conference in Stockholm. The UNEP is headquartered in Nairobi.
The UNEP has played an important role in developing international agreements and national environmental instruments.
The activities are focused to a large degree on
- initiating co-operation with other global, regional and national institutions in trying to elevate the importance of environmental issues
- integrating environmental protection with economic development.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is the United Nations body for assessing the science related to climate change. IPCC was established by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in 1988. Its initial task was outlined in UN General Assembly Resolution 43/53 of 6 December 1988. The objective of the IPCC is to provide governments at all levels with scientific information that they can use to develop climate policies. IPCC reports are a key input into international climate change negotiations.
More on UNEP
- The UNEP website provides background information, news, full text reports, publications and links to important environmental instruments.
- UNEP Annual Report offers a valuable overview of UNEP activities.
- The journal Our Planet contains news and debating articles on environmental issues.
- Global Environment Outlook (GEO) is a broad survey of environmental issues is published in cooperation with Stockholm Environment Institute.
- Atlas of Our Changing Environment contains comparisons of satellite images from the last decades, revealing environmental degradation and other drastic changes.
- Division of Environmental Law and Conventions (DELC). International och national environment law.
- InforMEA - United Nations Information Portal on Multilateral Environmental Agreements, COP decisions, news, meetings, membership, national focal points and reports from MEAs. Information is organised by terms from MEA COP agendas. InforMEA is a project of the MEA Information and Knowledge Management (IKM) Initiative with the support from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the European Union.
- UNEP.net - the United Nations Environment Network - a global web portal to environmental information.
- ECOLEX is a gateway to environmental law providing information on treaties, court decisions, legislation and relevant literature. It is operated jointly by UNEP, FAO and IUCN.
- UN Documentation : environment by DHL, New York.
Key UN documents
- UN Charter in Swedish | in English
- UN System Chart
- Yearbook of the United Nations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Swedish | in English
- Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action
- Statue of the International Court of Justice
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.