UNDP - United Nations Development Programme is the largest UN development assistance program, coordnating the work within UN. UNDP has representatives in some 170 countries and territories and is headquartered in New York.
Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
During 2000-2015 UNDP coordinated and monitored development and progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) adopted by 189 world leaders at the Millennium Summit 2000. The MDGs is a global action plan to achieve eight anti-poverty goals – which range from halving extreme poverty to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and providing universal primary education, all by the target date of 2015.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
In September 2015 UN adopted a new agenda for sustaianble development, Sustainable Development Goals (SDG:s). The agenda of the Global Goals includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030. The agenda was adopted in September 2015 by 193 world leaders. UNDP has a continued important task of monitoring the states' progress in implettering of the goals. For information in Swedish: Globala målen för hållbar utveckling.
More on UNDP
- The UNDP website provides information about its structure and programmes. It includes full text reports for recent years and a search engine to relevant Country Offices and Programmes.
- At the Swedish UNDP website, contains background information about the activities of the UNDP and links to reports and documents.
- UNDP Annual Report provides a good survey of UNDP activities. It can be accessed online through the UNDP website.
- Human Development Report is an annual publication produced with the goal of putting people back at the centre of the development process in terms of economic policy, and advocacy. It contains a chapter analyzing a relevant theme, and provides a Human Development Index (HDI) ranking countries according to such criteria as gender equality, democratic trends, commitment to health, nutritional status and life expectancy, education and an acceptable standard of living. All reports from 1996 onwards are posted at the UNDP website.
- Human Development Reports in Swedish.
- UNDP, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
- Globala målen för hållbar utveckling (2015-2030) Information about the 17 goals in Swedish.
- UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 2000-2015. A website on the eight goals including reports and statistics.
Key UN documents
- UN Charter in Swedish | in English
- UN System Chart
- Yearbook of the United Nations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Swedish | in English
- Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action
- Statue of the International Court of Justice
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.