In the exchange of letters between the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council you can find the background information on issues brought before the Security Council. Here the Secretary-General may notify the Security Council on a certain conflict situation and in his answer, the President of the Security Council gives a short summary of the actions by the Council. Relevant reports and studies are often included as attachments.
Find Letters of the President of the Security Council
- Exchange of letters between the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. The letters are issued as individual documents published electronically for recent years at the Security Council website.
- Letters in print for the years 1946-1992 are available through the UN collection of the Dag Hammarskjöld Library, Uppsala, and in the libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.