The ECOSOC has established a number of subsidiary organs - special committees, in order to perform its tasks and functions. Over the years there has been a considerable increase of such subsidiary organs and other additional intergovernmental bodies in the economic, social and humanitarian fields.
- Permanent Committees
- Expert Committees for important tasks
- Ad-Hoc Committees.
A few examples are Special Committees for:
- Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations
- Committee on Negotiations with Intergovernmental Agencies
- Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods and on the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals
More on Special Committees
- ECOSOC Subsidiary Bodies. A web portal to the Special Committees of the Economic and Social Council.
- Full text documents can be accessed through the websites of the subsidiary bodies.
- The subsidiary bodies submit an annual report to ECOSOC in the documentary series Supplements to the Official Records of the Economic and Social Council.
- Recent supplements are posted as reports at the ECOSOC website.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.