ECOSOC holds short sessions, meetings and discussions throughout the year to prepare for its substantive session. The four-week substantive session is held each July in alternative years in New York and Geneva.
The annual substantive session includes a high-level segment attended by Ministers and other high officials to discuss major economic, social and humanitarian issues. ECOSOC adopts a declaration from this meeting with policy guidance and recommendations for action. ECOSOC also deals with issues such as
- coordination between the UN bodies
- UN development cooperation activities
- other matters dealt with by its subsidiary bodies.
The year-around work of ECOSOC is carried out by its subsidiary organs - functional and regional commissions and standing committees and expert bodies. They meet regularly and report to the Council.
Find session reports
Sessional documents from ECOSOC carry the following symbols:
E/ Economic and Social Council
Ex. E/2004/18 Economic and Social Council, 2004, document no 18
NB! ECOSOC documents do not include session numbers. For documents prior to 1978, the year was excluded.
- Recent session documents are posted at the ECOSOC website.
- An important part of the documents are the annual reports of the commissions and committees.