The Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) - was established in 1958 with the mandate to function as a regional branch of the UN in Africa to support economic and social development in its member states.
More on ECA
The individual documents from the ECA usually carry the following symbols:
E/ Economic and Social Council
-/ECA Economic Commission for Africa
-/acronym for type of document or year of publication
Ex. E/ECA/MFC.1/5 Economic and Social Council, ECA, Ministerial Follow-up Committee no 1, document no 5
- Information about the structure and work of the Commission, full text documents and reports and news can be accessed from the website of the Economic Commission for Africa.
- The most recent edition of the Economic Report on Africa.
- ECA submits its annual reports in the documentary series Supplements to the Official Records of the Economic and Social Council.
- Recent supplements are posted as Reports at the ECOSOC website.
- Learn more about the subsidiaries in the research guide: UN Documentation : Economic and Social Council, subsidiary bodies, by Dag Hammarskjöld library (New York).
- ECA Databank offers different kinds of statistical data from Africa.
Key UN documents
- UN Charter in Swedish | in English
- UN System Chart
- Yearbook of the United Nations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Swedish | in English
- Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action
- Statue of the International Court of Justice
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
UN Documents available online
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.
Last modified: 2023-03-20