The ECOSOC coordinates the work of five regional commissions with the responsibility to reflect the regional dimensions of the economic and social issues addressed by the United Nations:
- ECA - Economic Commission for Africa
- ECE - Economic Commission for Europe
- ECLAC - Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- ESCAP - Economic and social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- ESCWA - Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Many documents of the Regional Commissions bear special document symbols. These are sometimes preceded by the following:
Economic Commission for Africa
Economic commission for Europe
Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
- The Regional Commissions of the ECOSOC submit their annual reports in the documentary series Supplements to the Official Records of the Economic and Social Council.
- Supplements are posted as Reports at the ECOSOC website.
- Subsidiary bodies of ECOSOC.
- Learn more about the subsidiaries in the research guide: UN Documentation : Economic and Social Council, subsidiary bodies, by Dag Hammarskjöld library (New York).
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.