Commission on Sustainable Development
The United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD) was established by the General Assembly in 1992. Its purpose is to review the implementation of the decisions of the Rio Conference at the local, regional and global levels, as well as to improve UN activities in the field of environment and development.
The term "sustainable development" was introduced at the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro - the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. The term stands for development with balanced environmental, economic and social dimensions.
More on Commission on Sustainable Development
The individual documents from the Commission on Sustainable Development carry the following symbols:
E/ Economic and Social Council
-/CN.17 Commission number 17 = Commission on Sustainable Development
Ex. E/CN.17/2003/6 Economic and Social Council, Commission on Sustainable Development, year 2003, document 6
- Information about the structure and work of the Commission and full text documents and reports can be accessed from the website of the Commission on Sustainable Development.
- The Commission submits an annual report to the ECOSOC in the documentary series Supplements to the Official Records of the Economic and Social Council with the symbol pattern: E/CN.17/YEAR/No
- Recent supplements are posted as Reports at the ECOSOC website.
- Information and documentation on the Sustainable Development Goals.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.