Commission on narcotic drugs
The United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) was founded in 1946. The Commission has as its mandate the supervision of international efforts to control the use and movement of narcotics and psychotropic substances, as well as to assist the Economic and Social Council in overseeing the implementation of international drug control treaties.
The United Nations has developed a treaty-based programme for international cooperation in controlling the production and trafficking of drugs and in the treatment of drug abuse.
More on the Commission on Narcotic Drugs
The individual documents from the Commission on Narcotic Drugs carry the following symbols:
E/ Economic and Social Council
-/CN.7 Commission no. 7 = Commission on Narcotic Drugs
Ex. E/CN.7/2004/7 Economic and Social Council, Commission on Narcotic Drugs, 2004, document no. 7
- Information about the structure and work of the Commission and full text documents and reports can be accessed from the website of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs.
- The Commission submits an annual report to the ECOSOC in the documentary series Supplements to the Official Records of the Economic and Social Council with the symbol pattern: E/CN.7/YEAR/No.
- Recent supplements are posted as Reports at the ECOSOC website.
- A survey of Drug-Related Treaties linking to full text is posted at the website of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs.
Key UN documents
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.
- All UN documents from 1993-.
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946-.
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- All supplements to the General Assembly Official Records (GAOR) from 1946-.
- All General Assembly plenary meeting records from 1946- in English, French and Spanish.
- Older documents are being scanned: Update on UN Digitization Programme.