UNAIDS - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS - was initiated in 1996 to serve as a coordinator for UN activities in the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS.
Earlier, the WHO had the primary responsibility for AIDS in the United Nations. But by the mid-1990s, it became clear that the relentless spread of HIV and its impact on human lives and on social and economic development required an expanded and coordinated United Nations effort UNAIDS operates as a secretariat for the programmes involved in the struggle against AIDS in cooperation with UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNESCO, UNODC, UN Women, WHO, WFP, The World Bank och ILO ensuring better coordination among its partners in the UN system, governments, civil society, donors, the private sector and others.
More on UN and AIDS
- UNAIDS. Information about UNAIDS as well as news, regional and country analyses and full text reports, documents and data on the AIDS situation.
- HIV/AIDS and Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development (SDG)
- AIDS. UN website.
- Statistics and surveys, programs and documents can be accessed from the websites of the UN bodies involved in the struggle against AIDS: WHO, UNICEF, UNODC, World Bank, UN Women, FAO, ILO, UNFPA.
- The WHO database Global Health Atlas collects the most recent country-specific data on the spread and impact of the virus, information on risk behaviors and treatment.
The United Nations has issued key documents with recommendations on the struggle against HIV/AIDS:
- United Nations 2001 Declaration on Commitment on HIV/AIDS.
- In June 2001, Heads of State and Representatives of Governments met at the United Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/AIDS, June 25-27 2001.
- Global Plan Towards the Elimination of New HIV Infections Among Children by 2015 and Keeping Their Mothers Alive launched by the 2011 United Nations High Level Meeting on Aids (press release).
- UNAIDS Report of the Global AIDS Epidemic contains data from 182 countries with analysis on the AIDS situation.
Key UN documents
- UN Charter in Swedish | in English
- UN System Chart
- Yearbook of the United Nations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Swedish | in English
- Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action
- Statue of the International Court of Justice
UN documents and publications in catalogues and databases
- United Nations Digital Library offers UN documents and open access publications, UN voting data and speeches, UN maps, Content in 6+ languages. Replaces the traditional online catalogue UNBISnet.
- UN iLibrary UN publications online covering different topics.
- ODS full-text UN documents published from 1993 onward and scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993 in the official languages of the UN.
- Daily list of documents (ODS). Documents published for the day, with full text links, can be found in the United Nations full text database ODS.
- UNBIS Thesaurus a multilingual database of the controlled vocabulary used to describe UN documents.
- Index to proceedings is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the major UN organs. The index includes:
- a list of all documents
- a comprehensive subject index
- an index to speeches
- a voting chart of resolutions
- United Nations Documents Index (United Nations Digital Library) References to all documents by subject area are published. A collection of indexes is held by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law Library, Uppsala, and the Libraries at UN Headquarters in New York and Geneva.